Remember me

I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

Mastiff Online Community

Promote Your Page Too

Help Feed Dogs - FREE

The Animal Rescue Site

What are the different types of mastiffs?

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
Anonymous
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:33 am   Post subject:  What are the different types of mastiffs? Back to top 

Can someone list for me all of the different types of mastiffs and what qualities (physical apperance, temperment,etc) set them apart from all of the other mastiffs?

I know we have OEM, Neos, Cane Corsos, Tibetian -- anything else? What is it about these distinctions that makes them different from one another? Like, pretend you are trying to tell child or someone who has no experience with mastiffs what the difference between all of them are -- what would you tell them?

I ask this because sometimes people will ask me what the difference is between my Neo -- Titus -- and the more well-known OEM's and I don't really know what to tell them other than he is black colored. I'd love to have some type of easy to follow chart or guide to 1) the different types of mastiffs and 2) their distinctions -- what put them in the category they are in.

Download Post   
crystaphaze
GENTLE GIANT
GENTLE GIANT
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:47 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

People ask me all the time what the difference between the bull mastiff and the english mastiff are. I dont really know either so I just um guessed? LOL. I tell them the OEM gets bigger and the bull has a shorter snout and more square appearance. Besides that I don't have a clue! Hopefully someone will chime in and give us a clue =)

Save The Giants
Vice President
www.savethegiants.com
crystal@savethegiants.com

Great Plains Mastiff Rescue
Volunteer
www.greatplainsmastiffrescue.org

Download Post   
mindee
SNORER
SNORER
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:48 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

OEM is the foundation breed.

In other words, its different dogs bred with OEM's to come with the other types of mastiffs you have today. OEM is a very very old breed.

The difference is like a terrier. A Jack Russel terrier is not the same as a Staffordshire Terrier. Mastiff is like the breed family, within it are very many different breeds, all related through the OEM being the foundation.

If anyone knows different, please correct me Smile

~ CH. Lacelle's Big Mudder Trucker ~
Download Post   
mindee
SNORER
SNORER
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:51 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

crystaphaze wrote (View Post): ›
People ask me all the time what the difference between the bull mastiff and the english mastiff are. I dont really know either so I just um guessed? LOL. I tell them the OEM gets bigger and the bull has a shorter snout and more square appearance. Besides that I don't have a clue! Hopefully someone will chime in and give us a clue =)

Bullmastiff is part bull dog and part OEM. SO a completely different dog. Hence the smaller more muscular frame, and stubby nose. They also tend to be more aggressive ( not in a bad way) But thats what they were bred for. The OEM was too laid back and they wanted a more aloof guard dog.

~ CH. Lacelle's Big Mudder Trucker ~
Download Post   
texasdog
SNORER
SNORER
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:37 pm   Post subject:  Re: What are the different types of mastiffs? Back to top 

I would be more inclined to say a Mastiff is a "type" of dog - basically a massive one!!!! Seems all the giant breeds are termed "mastiff" or "molosser". I think it is more a type than a singular breed. I can also think of Boerbel (South African Mastiff - similar to an OEM in size and shape but different colouring), Dogo Argentino (Argentinian Mastiff) Fila Brasiliera (Brazilian Mastiff), Dogue de Bordeaux (French Mastiff) Anatolian Mastiff. These are all massive dogs and all named Mastiff in some way.

I think the Bull Mastiff is really the only one (that I can think of) that was a purpose bred cross from an original OEM. (There is also the "American Mastiff" but lets not go there Sad )

I have read somewhere too that the Great Dane was originally created from an OEM and a Danish hunting hound (bred for and only for the then King of Denmark) Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hero Worship!!
Download Post   
Lazy Bones
SNORER
SNORER
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:16 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I am with you and like simple. I am a kid at heart and this is how I explain it...

When I get asked similar questions I explain that Capone and Miss Marley are English Mastiffs. I then ask if they have seen Sandlot or Payback and explain that those dogs are OEM. For a Neo and liken them to Fang in Harry Potter and that they are alot more wrinkley than the OEM. And the Dogue de Bordeaux (French Mastiff), I tell them that is the Turner and Hooch Dog. When I get asked if Capone and Miss Marley are Bull Mastiffs. I just say no, that BM look a lot like an OEM, but are smaller in every way.

I am clueless on the Cane Corsos and Tibetian Mastiffs... are they in any movies? LOL! LOL smiley

I am not sure how accurate I am, but comparing the puppies to a movie dog seems to help others a lot. I'm interested in what others also have to say. Smile

www.purrfectpuppy.com
Download Post   
Anonymous
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:53 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Thanks -- this is helpful!

I think the major difference between Neo's and OEM is that Neo's can be black and most OEM's are NOT black. Also, Neo's are really really really wrinkly and lot more extra skin than OEM.

I think Tibetians are more hairy than some of the other mastiffs?

Thanks guys for helping me piece some of this together -- if we all chip in maybe we will come up with a really great answer. I just get asked all of the freaking time what is the difference between a neo and an OEM (since most people that I've encountered know and recognized OEM as the "standard" mastiff and are most familiar with them-- most people I've met have no clue what a Neo is) -- and I don't know what to tell them the difference is besides Titus is black and has a lot of extra skin....

Download Post   
hman
BUTT HIGH
BUTT HIGH
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:32 pm   Post subject:  Re: What are the different types of mastiffs? Back to top 

SNORER
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:11 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

heidi_titus wrote (View Post): › Thanks -- this is helpful!

I think the major difference between Neo's and OEM is that Neo's can be black and most OEM's are NOT black. Also, Neo's are really really really wrinkly and lot more extra skin than OEM.

Thanks guys for helping me piece some of this together -- if we all chip in maybe we will come up with a really great answer. I just get asked all of the freaking time what is the difference between a neo and an OEM (since most people that I've encountered know and recognized OEM as the "standard" mastiff and are most familiar with them-- most people I've met have no clue what a Neo is) -- and I don't know what to tell them the difference is besides Titus is black and has a lot of extra skin....

Oh Dear. Confused Sweetheart, I suggest you start researching your breed. You are dealing w/ a very different dog. Training is crucial! As sweet and loving as they are right now the Neo is much much more "primitive" than the OEM, as well as the Cane Corso. Training is everything. These dogs NEED structure and rules. They will test you for the alpha position. They have STRONG guarding instincts. They are not as out-going and friendly as are OEM's.
I am going to ask V in another thread to give her opinions/experience on the different MASTIFF BREEDS that she is familiar with.

Besides the black color, Neo's do not come in fawn, however their cousins the Cane Corso does.
Neo's come in Blue, Blue brindle (Khloe) and black, black brindle, TAWNY (my FAV) and rare Mahoganey

CC's come in Blue/brindle, black/brindle, fawn, and red. Some talk of a "silver fawn" but that is not AKC standard (CC's became AKC accepted this summer).

The Fila and the Boerbell are interesting and not for the first time owner.
For instance the Fila is bred to LOATH strangers and should be introduced to family/friends/Vet by 7 months. Later in age they cannot be socialized w/ strangers.

Great Dane is also considered the German Mastiff.

Hope some of that helps, gotta go home from work now Embarassed

Hankums
GENTLE GIANT
GENTLE GIANT
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:57 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Kim wrote (View Post): ›
heidi_titus wrote (View Post): › Thanks -- this is helpful!

Oh Dear. Confused Sweetheart, I suggest you start researching your breed. You are dealing w/ a very different dog. Training is crucial! As sweet and loving as they are right now the Neo is much much more "primitive" than the OEM, as well as the Cane Corso. Training is everything. These dogs NEED structure and rules. They will test you for the alpha position. They have STRONG guarding instincts. They are not as out-going and friendly as are OEM's.
I am going to ask V in another thread to give her opinions/experience on the different MASTIFF BREEDS that she is familiar with.

Besides the black color, Neo's do not come in fawn, however their cousins the Cane Corso does.
Neo's come in Blue, Blue brindle (Khloe) and black, black brindle, TAWNY (my FAV) and rare Mahoganey

CC's come in Blue/brindle, black/brindle, fawn, and red. Some talk of a "silver fawn" but that is not AKC standard (CC's became AKC accepted this summer).

The Fila and the Boerbell are interesting and not for the first time owner.
For instance the Fila is bred to LOATH strangers and should be introduced to family/friends/Vet by 7 months. Later in age they cannot be socialized w/ strangers.

Great Dane is also considered the German Mastiff.

Hope some of that helps, gotta go home from work now Embarassed

http://www.mastiffonlinecommunity.net/viewtopic.php?p=136170#136170

V's answer to Kims thread.

GLMR Volunteer
http://www.glmr.org
Download Post   
Hankums
GENTLE GIANT
GENTLE GIANT
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:59 am   Post subject:  Re: What are the different types of mastiffs? Back to top 

hman wrote (View Post): › Follow this link.

http://www.bulldoginformation.com/molossers-mastiff-type-dogs.html

Great link H, I had this saved and wanted to post it yesterday but couldnt find it Wink

GLMR Volunteer
http://www.glmr.org
Download Post   
Anonymous
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:04 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Thanks for that link! Great info!!!!

Download Post   
shantelg
SLINGER
SLINGER
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:53 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

I always get this question about bulls and english and I explain that the bulls are more rottweiller in body shape and the english are more great dane in appearance. This usually helps people.

loafing
Download Post   
1em1fila
BUTT HIGH
BUTT HIGH
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:43 am   Post subject:  Re: What are the different types of mastiffs? Back to top 

I can tell you about the fila brasileiro (brazilian mastiff).. they are mix of english mastiff, old english bulldog and bloodhound. The guard dog of brazil. With family they are extremely docile and loving but they don't like or trust strangers... you can't totally socialize it out of them. In a proper fila their temperament can start around 4 months of age - it's odd to see a puppy growling. I loved my fila so much.. but won't own another one. You really can't have people at your house unless the dog is hidden away.. I could have someone sit on the couch and give Latte cookies and she would warm up to them - only while they were sitting down - if they stood up she would get that look in her eye and bark and growl. When a worker would come over to fix something and I put her in the kennel - I would have to stand in front of the kennel because she's growling and lunging to get at the person - she could move her kennel across the floor. lol I did get her out enough where I could walk her anywhere and she ignored everyone as long as they ignored her. And there were a few family members who were around her enough where they could kind of walk around the house but I would still have to keep an eye on her and I had to be in the room. A lot of fila owners are proud of how aggressive their filas are - which I don't understand - and they won't socialize the dog AT ALL... it's a huge liability. If you're willing to deal with the hatred of strangers - they're a wonderful dog to own.

Jen

Download Post   
Kim
SNORER
SNORER
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:39 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Jen, I didn't realize you lost Latte Sad
She was such a pretty girl. I always enjoyed pics of her that you shared.

Your description of her is pretty right on for a Fila. A great dog, but best for people who are a unsocial hermits. Wink

Max my foster was 1/2 Fila 1/2 EM. I fell in complete love w/ him. But his prey drive was too much around kids.

I usually compare the Mastiffs to other dogs when helping people understand.
For instance, because of size and temperament I say the CC is like the "pit bull" of mastiffs because of their primitive instincts and same sex/dog aggression, and even size..(unfortunately they are being used more and more for fighting in place of pits) I also explain they are more energetic and athletic than the larger Mastiffs.
The Neo is like the Shar Pei, only bigger and more wrinkles, plus a close cousin to the CC. With strong guarding instincts and temperament.
The English is just a big squishy teddy bear.
The Bull Mastiff is like a "boxer" Mastiff. Meaning their muzzle looks like a boxer and they are, by AKC standard, smaller like the CC, French and Rottie...
The French is the Hooch dog, like a mix of the short muzzle of the Bull and Boxer w/ lots of muzzle wrinkles, but not as wrinkley as the Neo...
That is just an example...

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic