I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

Mastiff Online Community

Promote Your Page Too

Help Feed Dogs - FREE

The Animal Rescue Site

elevated feeding bowls

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
Anonymous
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:25 am   Post subject:  elevated feeding bowls Back to top 

I figured the largest (5 quart 18") would be the right one but I just wanted to make sure. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. I am getting a Neapolitan this weekend and wanted the house to be perfect for her. Any suggestions are welcome too. I am new to this breed and want everything to be perfect. So food, toys, sleeping anything would be appreciated. I have done research but the opinion of experienced owners would be the best advice. Thank you!!

Last edited by Guest on Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Download Post   
Kim W
BUTT HIGH
BUTT HIGH
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:41 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

The cheaper way to go in my opinion is: The elevated flower planting pot stands you can get almost anywhere even the dollar store. They work great and then you only have to buy the large stainless steel bowls. It will be two separate dishes so you can take the water stand and bowl out side when needed. Hope it helps.

GENTLE GIANT
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:49 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

My husband built ours, they are not the prettiest I have seen but clean up is easy and they work Smile
I am not sure what height they are though... we do have 2 quart bowls in them
Welcome to MOC Smile
Missy

Pretend you are a star, and poke a hole into someones darkness
Download Post   
Sheena
COMPANION
COMPANION
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:52 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

It's 11" across. Pretty big.

I would use stainless steel. Plastic can be harmful.

Welcome!!! Can we see some pictures when you get her?

As far as food goes, Bill our food guru has a mega list of different kibbles to choose from. GOOD kibbles! And then there are quite a few of us on here who opt for a RAW diet. Chelsea, myself, Silverknight (who is also a MOD) we all feed raw Smile

Toys... pfffft... Apple pretty much keeps her toys for twenty minutes and then I have to toss them because she chews 'em. Jollyballs are a hit with mastiffs. Smile

Apple just sleeps on a super big chair cusion. I don't want to spend too much on a nice bed when I know as a puppy she will just chew it to shreds. Smile Futon matresses are also a big hit.

LOTS of information on this forum. VERY glad that you joined us!

Apple and her little buddy, Oz Love Shower
Download Post   
twobrindleboys
POTTY TRAINED
POTTY TRAINED
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:33 am   Post subject:  Re: elevated feeding bowls Back to top 

When all else fails this works well as an elevated feeder

Download Post   
rocket
POTTY TRAINED
POTTY TRAINED
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:06 pm   Post subject:  Re: elevated feeding bowls Back to top 

Someone told me that a recent study linked elevated feeding bowls to an increased incidence of bloat. I haven't seen it but the person that told me is very reliable. Maybe someone here can verify or deny?

Download Post   
msbab
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:37 pm   Post subject:  Re: elevated feeding bowls Back to top 

This is the one we have
http://www.petstreetmall.com/Big-Elevated-Dog-Feeder/571/3343/details.html
It works great and wipes off very easily(believe me, that is important)
Didn't start using an elevated feeder until he was about 6 months old. This one is not adjustable so will be too high for a puppy.

Beth,Alan,Ian and Crazy Eye Gort
Download Post   
CentIAMastiffDaddy
GENTLE GIANT
GENTLE GIANT
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:52 pm   Post subject:  Re: elevated feeding bowls Back to top 

rocket wrote (View Post): › Someone told me that a recent study linked elevated feeding bowls to an increased incidence of bloat. I haven't seen it but the person that told me is very reliable. Maybe someone here can verify or deny?

Deny. This keeps reappearing like dirty laundry.

Based on a single non-peer reviewed study done by several people at Purdue who looked at some Great Danes. But their findings were never verified and even the author has backed away from the conclusions.

Elevation is done for two main reasons - more comfortable eating position for a dog who is so far away from the floor and by raising there's actually less likelihood of taking in a lot of air which could cause the stomach to bloat.

Bill, Proud Papa to Ryanna
Download Post   
weebit29
GENTLE GIANT
GENTLE GIANT
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:55 pm   Post subject:  Re: elevated feeding bowls Back to top 

rocket wrote (View Post): › Someone told me that a recent study linked elevated feeding bowls to an increased incidence of bloat. I haven't seen it but the person that told me is very reliable. Maybe someone here can verify or deny?

I am horrible at searches Sad but yes this topic has come up before and I believe the study was posted. I feel there are points on each side but there were some flaws with the study (I think? I am fuzzy on details) After reading it I did decide to continue to use elevated bowls, mostly because it looks more comfortable to me.
Missy

Pretend you are a star, and poke a hole into someones darkness
Download Post   
BigBensMom
GENTLE GIANT
GENTLE GIANT
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:20 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

We have stainless buckets with hooks on the back of them.... we hook them on the side of the crates (this way we could move them up higher as they grew). We put stainless bowls inside the buckets... that way we could easily take them out for feeding and cleaning. It's worked great for us. And it's made the crate more pleasing to them b/c they eat there... it's a "good" place. Very Happy

Riggins (Golden Retriever / Great Dane mix)
BeBop (Lhasa Apso / Shih Tzu mix)
Download Post   
KaelsMom
PUPPY BREATH
PUPPY BREATH
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:23 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

We just got the largest stainless steel bowl we could find. It has rubber on the bottom so it won't slide. When he's older and bigger we will get elevated bowls. The vet has told us it helps to reduce bloat.

COUNTER SURFER
COUNTER SURFER
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:01 pm   Post subject:  Re: elevated feeding bowls Back to top 

Food/Water bowls: Definitely stainless steel and elevated. I got the non-tip type bowls because Huxley liked to paw her dishes as a baby, but I wish I had gotten straight vertical-edged bowls because the wide rim on mine make it easier for the water to splash out as Huxley drinks (if that makes any sense). You may want to consider placing a towel or bath mat underneath the food/water station.

p.s. My newbie mistake was thinking Huxley still had water in her bowl when there was maybe 1/4 in depth of clear fluid left. Wrong!! It was clear drool/slime that had accumulated in her bowl as she drank. So check and replenish water often.

Bedding: Futon or baby mattress is the way to go. I wish I hadn't wasted money on dog beds. Most are not as thick and cushiony as futons/baby mattresses, and anything with zippers was too tempting for Huxley to resist chewing (even after being housebroken and otherwise trustworthy in the home).

Toys: Kong brand toys are the only ones that have lasted in my home. I have a whole arsenal of them (kongs, stuff a ball, goodie bone, etc etc). Nylabones last, but Huxley does't like the really hard bones, she likes a little give. She does chew on her Nylabone Rhino bones though, because it's made of hard rubber instead of hard plastic. Dr. Noys Toys plushies (Kong sells them too) are great because they have no stuffing. Huxley likes the 6" jolly balls too.

Edible chews: Bully sticks and raw bones are a favorite. Stuffed frozen kongs will keep a puppy busy as well. These are what I rely on when I want Huxley to play solo and be out of my hair for a few min.

Download Post   

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search