Mastiff Online Community

Promote Your Page Too

Help Feed Dogs - FREE

The Animal Rescue Site

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Kayla
Subject:  Piebald English Mastiffs
Hey Everyone!

I was just reading an ad for mastiffs and it mentioned piebald coats. Does anyone have a piebald English Mastiff? Has anyone seen one before?

I read an article that they might not be purebred. Maybe a little Saint Bernard in there. Just wondering what everyone else thought.

What if momma was a fawn, daddy was a brindle and the puppies where apricot and silver brindle with two piebalds. That is what the ad said. The pictures of the brindles look like mastiffs. I'll see if I can find the address it had pics of the entire litter. Could the dam have be bred by both a saint and a brindle mastiff?

Could the puppies be registered? Not sure the process of registering - but if the piebalds couldn't be registered could the other puppies be? I'm assuming not. This litter was unregistered and I'm wondering if this is why.

Kayla

Last edited by Kayla on Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Download Post
CentIAMastiffDaddy
Subject:  
Doesn't sound purebred to me and I don't think it fits the Mastiff standard. According to the Mastiff Club of America -
"Mastiffs come in Apricot, Brindle, and various shades of Fawn."

There is a dog called the Spanish Mastiff where I believe piebald is an acceptable coloring.

Download Post
Kayla
Subject:  
Got the pictures from the add to upload.

The daddy

And a couple of the litter..

None of them any older than this though.

Download Post
weebit29
Subject:  
I have heard of them popping up on occasion, but not often and I have never seen any except the odd pic here and there.
If both parents are registered then I am assuming the pups could be too... however I would recommend a DNA on them just in case ;) Not sure what the AKC says about it.
And it is always possible that there was an OOPS somewhere, maybe not these two dogs but perhaps back in the pedigree.. and several breeds were used to bring Mastiffs back when their numbers got so very very low
Missy

Download Post
studioseven9
Subject:  
sort of off topic.... but i remember my babies being that tiny... awwwwww!!! :)

Download Post
havensbane
Subject:  Re: Piebald English Mastiffs
They absolutely exist in purebred breedings....they are very rare, more so than the fluffies, but they do happen for the same reason...that is the introduction of the St Bernard to bring the numbers back like Missy said.

Like the fluffies, they do not meet the standard and they should be sold as pet quality and not bred...

I personally would love to have one, even to see one in person would be wonderful. There have been many very good breeders that have had them.

Download Post
Misty
Subject:  
Pie's do exist, like Shawna said, they are very rare. Actually if you look back is some of the books on the breed history, you'll see that the pie use to be very common. Actually Shawna I believe the fluffy's came from crossing with the Saints when Mastiffs almost died out, the pie was around before the cross happened. I think they are so adorable, and wish it would be incorporated into the breed standard. You could do a DNA test to verify if they truely are 100% mastiff or a mastiff x saint mix.

Download Post
carseomighty
Hard to tell but momma looks like a bull mastiff. Piebalds used to be a lot more common in the bullies. Pies are generally an indication of too close of a blood line (like breeding sibblings).

Download Post
shamara
The south african mastiff (boerboel) comes in piebald.

Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boToUNaY-wE

Download Post
logdog
Subject:  
I've never seen one but the pic looks interesting.

Download Post
Kayla
Subject:  
Thanks for the replies. This is the litter we got our puppy from but I started thinking about whether she was purebred when I couldn't find a picture of a piebald on google!! I wanted unbiased answers so I never mentioned that we got her from this litter. I didn't get a picture of the momma but I had seen her before and she did look like a purebred.

I forgot I took pictures of the puppies that hadn't been picked up yet. Here is one of the pies left.

And the Boerboel does look like what they might grow to be. I've never heard of any in our area though.

I'm glad I got to see them in person now. Both parent's are registered. I'm going to email the breeder and ask for some pictures of the mom. And I'd like to get the email of the people that bought the piebalds and keep in touch. Maybe some playdates.

Here is Tiny in her favorite sleeping spot. Hopefully she doesn't try this in a month or two.

Download Post
skycastle
Subject:  
I want!!! omg....Beautiful!

So, did you end up w/ the brindle baby and not get one of the pies??? Awe!!! So adorable!

Download Post
Kayla
Subject:  
skycastle wrote (View Post): ›
I want!!! omg....Beautiful!

So, did you end up w/ the brindle baby and not get one of the pies??? Awe!!! So adorable!

Yeah we had been looking for a darker brindle since spring so we got her. I wish I could have gotten two though.. Wonder if that cutie in the picture is still available???

Pretty sure my boyfriend wouldn't be to happy. I'd really consider it if it was a male. Maybe my Boyfriend wouldn't feel so out numbered then.

Kayla

Download Post
AdrianVall
Subject:  
Dude, that is so AWESOME!! I would LOVE to have a piebald EM! That would be way cool. I'd love to see what they look like all grown up! :)

Download Post
lakelady1
What a pretty pup! As someone else said, mastiffs can be pied but it is not at all common. I've seen pics of two here in the USA from well known breeders, one in Europe and a really interesting one in Australia. He had a marking on his side that looked just like a Mastiff head. He was really unique. As far as I know none were bred and were placed as pets.

Download Post
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Page 1 of 3

Jump to: