I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

Mastiff Online Community

Promote Your Page Too

Help Feed Dogs - FREE

The Animal Rescue Site

Neutering my puppy

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
Jonna26
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:10 pm   Post subject:  Neutering my puppy Back to top 

I am a new mastiff owner and I want to neuter my little boy. He is 15 weeks old and the vet told us to neuter him ASAP. However I have read that you should not alter mastiffs until they are 2 yrs old. Can anyone offer advice on what to do?? Thanks

Download Post   
logdog
GENTLE GIANT
GENTLE GIANT
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:27 pm   Post subject:  Re: Neutering my puppy Back to top 

Giant breed dogs take longer to mature. There is evidence that early neutering can lead to skeletal or joint problems later in life. Moving this topic to the Health Forum for more exposure.

SLINGER
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:05 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Mosty vets want to neuter dogs very early, but that's really not the best for giant breed dogs. However, it does save with not having to worry about unwanted litters. If you have a fenced yard, and can make sure your boy isn't going to get out unsupervised, I would suggest waiting until he's 12-18 months. It is cheaper to neuter earlier because of anethesia, but health wise, it's much better to wait and let your boy mature first.

Extraordinary Diva Dog (Bella)
UKC CH, Int CH, BRZ GCH, Lazy D's Southern Mossy Oak, CD, RN, CGC, TDI, TT, WD (Camo)
Download Post   
weebit29
GENTLE GIANT
GENTLE GIANT
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:26 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

It is cheaper to neuter young, however it really isn't in the best interest of the dog, although many vets will tell you differently.
My advice is do some research, on this site and others and decide after that.
I chose to wait. Nova is almost 2 and I have no current plans to neuter him'
Missy

Pretend you are a star, and poke a hole into someones darkness
Download Post   
texas-racer
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:31 pm   Post subject:  Re: Neutering my puppy Back to top 

As stated it is best wait. I wouldn't neuter till 18-24 months.

You cannot do a kindness to soon, because you never know how soon it will be to late. Ralph Waldo Emerson
Give HOPE. You can make a difference.
ADOPT VOLUNTEER DONATE
Download Post   
Odinsmom
POTTY TRAINED
POTTY TRAINED
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:22 am   Post subject:  Re: Neutering my puppy Back to top 

Odin just turned 3 and he will be neutered in the next month or so. We waited for the reasons mentioned here. Now I also have pugs and do not feel the same way about neutering or spaying for them...6 mos...GONE! Luckily neither my Bullmastiff or my current English have had a issue with marking or humping, so it's worked out well.

Jonna26
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:41 am   Post subject:  Re: Neutering my puppy Back to top 

Thanks for all the advice!! Looks like I will be waiting til he is 2!!

Download Post   
GregBecky
BUTT HIGH
BUTT HIGH
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:21 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Joanna - I'd even look into changing vets - a vet that does not know about giant breeds and how they should deal with them is not a well educated vet IMHO - when we got Samson hubby said immediately that we needed to neuter him, he quickly changed his mind after our vet told us the reasons not to Smile

Download Post   
EXCMastiffs
DROOLER
DROOLER
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:01 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

I agree with the folks posting above.

However, just remember it's your responsibility to keep him in sight and away from other unaltered dogs and you should be fine.

Heather

Heather Eusanio
Excelsior Mastiffs
MCOA Member
Empire State Mastiff Fanciers, Secretary
Download Post   
skycastle
DROOLER
DROOLER
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:16 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Even when he turns 2, you might still not want to do it. Winston will be 2 in November of this year and we have no plans on getting him neutered.

Winston~November 24, 2008 DOB
Download Post   
ari54
BUTT HIGH
BUTT HIGH
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:28 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

marci, it isn't necessary to capitalize gone. sharp pain develops in my groin thanks. Wink

always delayed it as long as possible w/all 5 fur kids. very healthy long lives.

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic