I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

Mastiff Online Community

Promote Your Page Too

Help Feed Dogs - FREE

The Animal Rescue Site

Hygroma edited to add pictures

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
Pam
SNORER
SNORER
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:04 pm   Post subject:  Hygroma edited to add pictures Back to top 

Has anyone ever had their Mastiff get a hygroma on their hock? Murfee has a lump about the size of a golf ball on his hock. He has had it about 6 weeks now and I assumed it was a hygroma so I have just been monitoring it. It hasn't gotten any bigger but definitely hasn't gotten any smaller.

He doesn't limp, doesn't act like it bothers him nothing, but I am starting to get concerned that maybe I should have it checked out. The only thing I can remember that might have happened at about the time I noticed this was one morning when he went down the back stairs to go outside, he tripped on the last step and kind of jumped off to the side. I think he might have hit his hock on the step as he jumped off to the side. I noticed this lump about 2 days later.

He runs, jumps etc. so it doesn't bother him in anyway. Max had one on his elbow when he was younger but I can't remember how long it took to go away.

For some reason Murf now has a boil looking thing on his back so I want to take him to the vet this week and have that checked out, was going to ask the vet to look at his leg but I'm thinking if it is a hygroma I don't want the vet draining it or anything.

Just wondering if anyone has ever seen one on a hock? Want to make sure I'm not ignoring it if it could be something else?

Thanks
Pam

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Last edited by Pam on Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Pam
Max CD, CGC, TDI
Murfee CGC
Download Post   
Hankums
GENTLE GIANT
GENTLE GIANT
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:37 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I'm wondering if thats what it is??? I'd go ahead and have him checked, whats it feel like???

Dont let them drain it tho if it is a hygroma.

GLMR Volunteer
http://www.glmr.org
Download Post   
weebit29
GENTLE GIANT
GENTLE GIANT
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:06 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I'd get it checked, usually hygromas form on pressure points and I am just not sure a hock is a usual place for one to form
Keep us posted on the poor baby
Missy

Pretend you are a star, and poke a hole into someones darkness
Download Post   
crystaphaze
GENTLE GIANT
GENTLE GIANT
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:03 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Id have it looked at too just in case. But ditto on the no draining is a hygroma. Does it feel like fluid or like a cyst? They feel different.

Save The Giants
Vice President
www.savethegiants.com
crystal@savethegiants.com

Great Plains Mastiff Rescue
Volunteer
www.greatplainsmastiffrescue.org

Download Post   
Pam
SNORER
SNORER
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:05 am   Post subject:  Re: Hygroma Back to top 

It feels pretty firm but yet you can push on it and it feels a little quishy. I'm not good trying to figure those things out. It is on the outside of his leg right where the stifle and the hock join. You can push on it etc. and no reaction from him so I know it doesn't hurt. I will have the vet look at it.
I think it really feels about the way Max's did when he had one on his elbow.
I remember his got as big as a orange or something, huge but it finally went away.

Murf's definitely can't be from laying on hard surfaces, he is either on the couch or on my bed. No hard floors for that boy. LOL

Will let you know what we find out.

Pam

Pam
Max CD, CGC, TDI
Murfee CGC
Download Post   
Hankums
GENTLE GIANT
GENTLE GIANT
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:49 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Keep us posted Pam!