I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

Mastiff Online Community

Promote Your Page Too

Help Feed Dogs - FREE

The Animal Rescue Site

Lump on elbow causing limp now....

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
rellimserdna
POTTY TRAINED
POTTY TRAINED
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:17 pm   Post subject:  Lump on elbow causing limp now.... Back to top 

Petra has a large lump on her elbow from laying on the hardwood here at the house and in the past week she has actually started to limp on the same leg. I just had her spayed and there were no complications and had the vet do bloodwork before the surgery to make sure all was normal. any one have any experience here? The lump doesn't seem to hurt her or make it tender so I don't know what is going on. Going to call the vet tomorrow. any advice?

Download Post   
CentIAMastiffDaddy
GENTLE GIANT
GENTLE GIANT
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:27 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Sounds like a hygroma. Don't let them try to drain it as that can lead to a hard-to-treat infection. It's a build up of fluid padding around the joint caused by laying on hard surfaces too much. They eventually go away on their own but you need to make sure she isn't flopping down on hard surfaces or spending too much time laying on hard surfaces. We have hard wood floors but have placed many throw rugs around for walking and laying. Also Ryanna has a dog bed downstairs and Monte has the sofa. Then Ryanna sleeps with me and Monte with my brother. So their elbow joint areas rarely contact the wood floor directly.

Bill, Proud Papa to Ryanna
Download Post   
texas-racer
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:51 pm   Post subject:  Re: Lump on elbow causing limp now.... Back to top 

Does the lump feel warm?

You cannot do a kindness to soon, because you never know how soon it will be to late. Ralph Waldo Emerson
Give HOPE. You can make a difference.
ADOPT VOLUNTEER DONATE
Download Post   
rellimserdna
POTTY TRAINED
POTTY TRAINED
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:18 am   Post subject:  Re: Lump on elbow causing limp now.... Back to top 

yes, but not hot. Its not tender when I massage it or anything. It looks exactly like all the pictures I've found of hygromas as well but I don't know if it should be making her limp.

Download Post   
mindee
SNORER
SNORER
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:42 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

SHe could have injured the elbow seperate from the hygroma. Both of mine had them and neither ever limped.

I would keep her quite for a fews and and if it doesnt get better...see the vet.

~ CH. Lacelle's Big Mudder Trucker ~
Download Post   
Dutchessmomma
BUTT HIGH
BUTT HIGH
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:53 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

If it's causing a limp - it could be more than a hygroma. Have the vet check it out.

Download Post   
texas-racer
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:31 pm   Post subject:  Re: Lump on elbow causing limp now.... Back to top 

My thinking is if it feels warm there might be an infection in it. Was she on antibiotics after her spay? How long after the spay did she start to limp?

You cannot do a kindness to soon, because you never know how soon it will be to late. Ralph Waldo Emerson
ADOPT VOLUNTEER DONATE
Download Post   
rellimserdna
POTTY TRAINED
POTTY TRAINED
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:56 pm   Post subject:  Re: Lump on elbow causing limp now.... Back to top 

no, she wasn't on antibiotics and didn't start to limp until about 10 days or so after the spay. Its a pretty slight limp, not very pronounced at all. Is there any way for the vet to detect an infection WITHOUT draining it? I've heard bad things about getting them drained.

Download Post   
texas-racer
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:15 pm   Post subject:  Re: Lump on elbow causing limp now.... Back to top 

The Vet can evaluate the elbow without draining it. He will manipulate the elbow in normal movements to try and see where the pain is coming from, it might not even be her elbow, could be shoulder. An office visit now might prevent headaches down the road.

ADOPT VOLUNTEER DONATE
Download Post   
rellimserdna
POTTY TRAINED
POTTY TRAINED
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:40 pm   Post subject:  Re: Lump on elbow causing limp now.... Back to top 

thats what i figured about the office visit. I've got a vet appt scheduled for sat morning. the earliest i can get there. will give an update when i can. thx guys

Download Post   
rellimserdna
POTTY TRAINED
POTTY TRAINED
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:12 pm   Post subject:  Re: Lump on elbow causing limp now.... Back to top 

Vet says its just a hygroma. just a large one. got her a set of Doggleggs so using them now. anyone have any experience with them and how long they take to work?

Download Post   

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic