Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

Mastiff Online Community

Promote Your Page Too

Help Feed Dogs - FREE

The Animal Rescue Site

friedrice2841
Subject:  What age should you neuter your mastiff
I am going to get my 2nd Mastiff next week. He is 5 months old. My vet here says that he would wait until the dog is at least 12 -18 months before neutering. He says neutering too early can cause developmental problems (they don't fill out as much) and also some male "plumbing" problems can occur as well. I was under the idea that the sooner the better.

Just wanted to get some feedback from others in the forum. Please tell me about your experiences, both positive and negative.

Thanks!

Download Post
Ashley
Subject:  
Wow, a vet that knows not to spay/neuter at 6mo! That's a rarity! My vet pushed and pushed to get Dagny spayed at 6mo, I kindly told him no thanks! We are not spaying at least until after her first heat, preferably 18mo to 2yrs though. Maybe longer because she seems to be the slow growing type of Mastiff and I don't think her growth plates will be finished by the time she is 2.

Bone cancer is a higher risk with earlier spay/neuter and I've heard that the males do not fill out as much and therefore look more like a Dane than a Mastiff.

Download Post
friedrice2841
Subject:  Re: What age should you neuter your mastiff
thanks for the reply
My vet has owned mastiffs for years. I trust him on certain issues; but not on other issues (like food).
This forum has been such a big help!
Looking forward to more responses.

Download Post
Silina
Our vet also gently pushed to have Athena spayed at 6 months. I kindly explained to her that we havent decided fully as to weather we plan to breed her in the future. She understood for the most part. I am very glad to hear that you have a vet that is knowledgeable with mastiffs.

Download Post
mindee
Subject:  
Good vet! Waiting is definitely ideal.

Just curious...what are his food recommendations you don't agree with?

Download Post
friedrice2841
The vet just does not understand that all the people that give him food (Hills, Eukenuba, Iams) are not great foods. Most are corn based, and not the ideal food for Large Breed Dogs (or any dog for that matter). When I told him that I feed Fromm, he just look puzzled. Most vets just don't know that much about food, and will push the food that is given to them by big companies like Eukenuba and Iams. Not trying to down Eukenuba or Iams, but there are much better foods available.

Download Post
SadiesMom
Subject:  
Welcome, Memphis!! That's my hometown!! Miss my barbeque after all the years!LOL I'm holding off spaying my boy tlll he's through growing and your vet sounds great!!! Again, welcome to MOC!
Joan

Download Post
texas-racer
I'm glad your Vet suggested waiting. With giant breeds everyone likes to wait until 18 months or later since the growth plates close around that time.
Have you read this yet
http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

Download Post
weebit29
Subject:  
In the end I think it is your choice.
But I am choosing to wait because I feel it is best for my boy. The higher risk of bone cancer was a concern for me, much more than just his looks, but I do like boys with big blocky heads and the males I have seen who were neutered early.. they didn't have the look I wanted.
Do your research, talk to breeders, owners and vets and base your decision on what is best for you and your dog.
I do think choosing to wait with a male is easier than with a female :) But you do still have to be responsible enough to keep him away from any females in heat.. and he can smell them for like a mile away!
Missy

Download Post
mindee
Subject:  
friedrice2841 wrote (View Post): ›
The vet just does not understand that all the people that give him food (Hills, Eukenuba, Iams) are not great foods. Most are corn based, and not the ideal food for Large Breed Dogs (or any dog for that matter). When I told him that I feed Fromm, he just look puzzled. Most vets just don't know that much about food, and will push the food that is given to them by big companies like Eukenuba and Iams. Not trying to down Eukenuba or Iams, but there are much better foods available.

Oh well he can't be perfect! I fully agree with you on the kibble...corn is just crap literally..makes them crap! lol

Fromm is an excellent food!

Download Post

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: