I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

Mastiff Online Community

Promote Your Page Too

Help Feed Dogs - FREE

The Animal Rescue Site

Ear infection Sad

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
Connman
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:10 pm   Post subject:  Ear infection Sad Back to top 

My 2yo Rudy has an ear infection - who knew you could get a yeast infection in your ear? Learn something new every day I guess!
He'd been pawing at his ear and shaking his head a lot the past few days so I took him in.
The vet swabbed it and analyzed it under a microscope for the diagnosis.
She gave me:
DermaPet Ketoconazole flush solution
Momentamax (liquid)- to treat the infection in the ear
Ketoconazole pills (200mg) - to work on the infection from the inside-out.

Sound about right?
...oh, and all for the kick-in-the-teeth price of $190 Mad

Tucker, me, and Rudy the lapdog
Download Post   
SadiesMom
COUNTER SURFER
COUNTER SURFER
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:38 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Ouch, ear infections hurt, but the $190 hurt too!!!
Yep, sounds about right to me...haven't had one in my mastiffs but greyhounds have them alot. Not any fun and a bugger to get rid of.

Download Post   
texas-racer
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:01 am   Post subject:  Re: Ear infection Sad Back to top 

It does sound right on the medicine. Be sure you stay up on the flushes and meds everyday, ear infections can be very stubborn to get rid of.

You cannot do a kindness to soon, because you never know how soon it will be to late. Ralph Waldo Emerson
Give HOPE. You can make a difference.
ADOPT VOLUNTEER DONATE
Download Post   
weebit29
GENTLE GIANT
GENTLE GIANT
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:43 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Yeasty ears are fairly common. Prevention goes a long way. I wipe ears daily with a baby wipe (alcohol free) and weekly I clean with a Blue Power Ear Wash (recipe is a sticky in health I think) I give yogurt fairly often because I do think it helps with prevention too. yeast seems to like carbs, sugars and damp places, so I try to keep ears clean and dry too.
Nova gets yeasty ears fairly often, he seems prone to them, although thankfully otherwise he is very healthy. Usually I only pay around 20 dollars for meds because I can catch them quickly.
I have gotten to the point if any of mine have a reddish brownish gook in their years I start treating immediately for yeast.
Missy

Pretend you are a star, and poke a hole into someones darkness
Download Post   
VeronicaA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:52 pm   Post subject:  Re: Ear infection Sad Back to top 

Poor guy. I think its pretty common b/c my Cookie has had ear infections from yeast before. Awww...

Download Post   
Debbie C.
COUNTER SURFER
COUNTER SURFER
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:49 am   Post subject:  Re: Ear infection Sad Back to top 

We do our best to keep Moe's ears clean, but he does get the infection once in a while. Our Vet gives us Otomax, a white cream, it cost's around $30.00 bucks and it always seems to clear him up.

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic