I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

Mastiff Online Community

Promote Your Page Too

Help Feed Dogs - FREE

The Animal Rescue Site

Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplements

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
ManInBlack
PUPPY BREATH
PUPPY BREATH
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:21 pm   Post subject:  Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplements Back to top 

Hi All

Wondering if and when you all started using glucosamine chondroitin supplements. If so, what brand.
Cash is almost 5 months and the vet has yet to mention and I forgot to ask.

Thanks

Todd and Cash.

P.S. Sorry for the old photo. takes it out of me to figure out new pics and siggys

BUTT HIGH
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:39 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Bill suggested this brand to me and I've been using it for a year now, I can see improvement in my 8 year old Chin who has joint problems - I order the 3.75 lb bucket, free shipping and it lasts around 4++ months for both dogs

http://www.shermarenterprises.com/prod-cff.html

Download Post   
crystaphaze
GENTLE GIANT
GENTLE GIANT
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:09 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Mine are Nutri Vet if Im giving them seperately or the Missing Link Plus has it also.

Save The Giants
Vice President
www.savethegiants.com
crystal@savethegiants.com

Great Plains Mastiff Rescue
Volunteer
www.greatplainsmastiffrescue.org

Download Post   
texas-racer
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:52 am   Post subject:  Re: Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplements Back to top 

You can start him on it now. There is a lot of companies that make it for dogs, if you look for the NASC label, then that means their product was tested by the independent NASC lab and the ingredients list is correct. That is just to help guide you, if a product does not have the label, it does not mean it is a bad product. Some people use the human supplements also.
http://nasc.cc/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=95&Itemid=152

You cannot do a kindness to soon, because you never know how soon it will be to late. Ralph Waldo Emerson
Give HOPE. You can make a difference.
ADOPT VOLUNTEER DONATE
Download Post   
friedrice2841
PUPPY BREATH
PUPPY BREATH
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:52 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

I also have the same question.
I have a 2 yr old female English Mastiff, and I am getting a 5 month male English Mastiff tonight.

What age do you start introducing glucosamine and chondroitin?

BUTT HIGH
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:17 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

GregBecky, I only see an 8oz of the Four Flex for canines...do you use the equine formula?

edit: oops, I see now. I just didn't read the actual description.

GENTLE GIANT
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:04 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

I started Nova at 8 weeks (his breeder gave him some before then) I started Loki around 6 weeks, Maggie when we adopted her at age 5 years.
I usually get the Nutra Vet brand
Missy

Pretend you are a star, and poke a hole into someones darkness
Download Post   
Oso Bodacious
SNORER
SNORER
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:13 am   Post subject:  Re: Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplements Back to top 

I use the Four Flex Equine!!!

I did some extensive comparisons and it is the same product with the same ingredients in the same ratios as the dog Four Flex - it just has a bigger scoop!!! I buy it in the 12 lb bucket and it is a WHOLE lot cheaper than the Canine Four Flex (I have one horse, and 4 dogs I use it for). Price per ounce, the dog Four Flex is 3-4 times as expensive as the 12 lb bucket of Equine Four Flex.

I use approx. 1/6 of the horse scoop for the dogs.

ETA - I start them on it at 8 weeks and they get it all their lives.

Volunteer - SSMR
www.osobodaciousmastiffs.com

Download Post   
Marley and me
BUTT HIGH
BUTT HIGH
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:18 pm   Post subject:  Re: Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplements Back to top 

What's your opinion on giving the human formulation (since we take it and have it here)? and how much should you be giving, since the human type doesn't specify by weight?

PUPPY BREATH
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:55 pm   Post subject:  Re: Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplements Back to top 

Thanks for all the info. Plan on picking some up this week. As I am newer to the s