I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

Mastiff Online Community

Promote Your Page Too

Help Feed Dogs - FREE

The Animal Rescue Site

Teething Question UPDATE

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
Anonymous
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:44 pm   Post subject:  Teething Question UPDATE Back to top 

Roofus has his adult teeth coming in (I can see them *just* poking through the gums) but his puppy teeth are still present!!
I called my vet to ask, and they said they normally take care of things like that during spay/neutering. I adopted/rescued Roofus and he was already neutered at 9 weeks.
So, my questions are:
-will the presence of baby teeth harm the adult teeth (placement, function etc) ?
-would this be causing pain to Roofus?
-if I were to medically intervene should I wait to make sure no other teeth are affected?

So far it's happening on the lower jaw, the two tiny teeth on either side of the center pair.
He's just shy of 17 weeks old.

Thanks!!

Last edited by Guest on Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:35 am; edited 2 times in total

Download Post   
Anonymous
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:17 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

THose teeth WILL come out...sometimes they can be a bit stubborn, ut usually by 6 or 7 months, they're all out...gentle games of tug, giving rope bones- can help. And yes, those gums are probably sore sore sore! I gave Munchie frozen wash cloths to gnaw on to help numb those gums, too...but soon, all of this will be behind you both Very Happy

But if they still seem rather solidly in that mouth at 6 months...your vet can extract them- retained baby teeth can misalign some teeth, but really, at this point, there's nothing to worry over at all.

Teri

Download Post   
Anonymous
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:36 pm   Post subject:  Re: Teething Question Back to top 

Thanks Teri!! Phew! Embarassed
I've always adopted older dogs, this is my first pup, so of course I worry!

He already has a dental anomoly. He has a double-crowned top incisor, so I lok at his mouth/teeth frequently to check for other abnormalities.
Earlier this morning the baby teeth were stead fast, tonight they wiggle a little, so hopefully that means they are going to fall out on their own.
I had having to sedate/anethetise!!

Download Post   
Anonymous
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:53 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Oooh...so they're already loose? Cool! They'll come out in no time then!

And worrying over our babies is natural Wink

I hear ya about having to sedate our dogs...always worries me no end- but from the sound of it, Roofus shouldn't have to have any teeth removed Very Happy

Teri- more pics of Roofus, please???

Download Post   
CentIAMastiffDaddy
GENTLE GIANT
GENTLE GIANT
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:37 am   Post subject:  Re: Teething Question Back to top 

Ryanna had a couple of stubborn baby teeth that didn't want to come out. The vet and I were crossing our fingers that they would eventually pop out without having to knock her out to remove. They did end up coming out on their own.

Bill, Proud Papa to Ryanna
Download Post   
BigBensMom
GENTLE GIANT
GENTLE GIANT
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:47 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

This is a pic taken when Big Ben was five months old. I was worried about the same thing! Wink But, everyone assured me the teeth would come out on their own -- and they did. Smile Lots and lots of chew toys later, he lost the baby teeth with no problems.

Riggins (Golden Retriever / Great Dane mix)
BeBop (Lhasa Apso / Shih Tzu mix)
Download Post   
Anonymous
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:35 am   Post subject:  Re: Teething Question Back to top 

Thanks everyone!

The sun is out today! I'll be taking some more pictures!

Download Post   
Anonymous
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:35 am   Post subject:  Re: Teething Question UPDATE Back to top 

UPDATE
All his inscisors have fallen out succesfully and the adult ones have come in. All are straight & alligned except for one on the bottom. And one of his top ones is double crowned, but "fits" fine.
So all is good. Very Happy

Download Post   
Hankums
GENTLE GIANT
GENTLE GIANT
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:10 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Good news! Thanks for the update!