I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

Mastiff Online Community

Promote Your Page Too

Help Feed Dogs - FREE

The Animal Rescue Site

Maturity Age

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
The Kraken
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:56 am   Post subject:  Maturity Age Back to top 

Hello Folks

Just joined, hope to learn alot here, I have an English Mastiff / Bull Masttif about 9 months old, Brindle color.

My vet has been calling me to neuter him now, I have read here some posts on the pros and cons of the procedure and I keep seeing mention that they should be at a Mature stage if you are going to proceed with it.

So my question never having owned a dog as large as he is, at what age are they MATURE?

Is is based on age, canines growing out? or other factors?

By the way he is the most Loveable, and well mannered puppy I have ever had, all but the chewing up his ceder dog house which now has a large BAY window Shocked

Thanks for any info.

Yours in Mastiif, The Kraken

Download Post   
SadiesMom
COUNTER SURFER
COUNTER SURFER
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:52 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Welcome to MOC!! I'm kinda in the same position.
My brindle boy is 2 yrs and hasn't grown much over the last few mos. so thinking about having him fixed. Know they're suppose to be susceptible to prostate cancer the longer we wait. Wanted to wait till he quit growing and seems like we're there.
Know someone will give a good answer here. Love the "bay window" thingy!LOL
Joan

Download Post   
Oso Bodacious
SNORER
SNORER
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:30 pm   Post subject:  Re: Maturity Age Back to top 

The longer you wait, the LESS susceptible to osteosarcoma (bone cancer) they are, as well as lymphoma, and hemangiosarcoma.

Most breeders recommend that you not neuter the boys until between the ages of 18-24 months. This allows the growth plates to fully close before neutering. If you neuter them before the growth plates close, you may end up with a taller, lankier mastiff than if you wait as they need the hormones in order to reach their full growth potential.

Most vets are either unfamiliar with the growth of giant breed dogs, or they advocate neutering at a young age in order to prevent unwanted pregnancies. Admittedly, allowing a dog to reach almost 2 years old before neutering requires more diligence on the part of the owners to prevent that dog from straying and impregnating a female.

Volunteer - SSMR
www.osobodaciousmastiffs.com

Download Post   
Oso Bodacious
SNORER
SNORER
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:32 pm   Post subject:  Re: Maturity Age Back to top 

Sorry Embarassed , forgot to add WELCOME!!!!!!

Volunteer - SSMR
www.osobodaciousmastiffs.com

Download Post   
The Kraken
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:54 pm   Post subject:  Re: Maturity Age Back to top 

Thank You for the Replies...............

Oh almost forgot, here is Zeus's Dog House Modifications.................

Certified Mastiff Contrator!!!!!!!!!

Download Post   
msbab
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:36 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

What an excellent decorator he is. Welcome. Nice that you showed us his handy work but we would like to see HIM!

Beth,Alan,Ian and Crazy Eye Gort
Download Post   
fishfans
SNORER
SNORER
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:35 pm   Post subject:  Re: Maturity Age Back to top 

HI and Welcome Rainbow to MOC.

we just had both our male and female done, they were 18 months. When I explained to my vet that neutering a male at an early age would impede their growth and the growth plates he fully agreed with me on waiting.

COUNTER SURFER
COUNTER SURFER
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:47 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Thanks Terri, for the info....I believe I'll