I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

Mastiff Online Community

Promote Your Page Too

Help Feed Dogs - FREE

The Animal Rescue Site

Fromm Mature adult dog Food vs.Canidae Platinum

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
snuggy1
LEASH TRAINED
LEASH TRAINED
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat May 19, 2012 9:53 pm   Post subject:  Fromm Mature adult dog Food vs.Canidae Platinum Back to top 

I switched Xena to the Canidae Platinum to get some weight off her rather than listening to the vet and trying there crappy food. If I switch to Fromm, is the mature adult dry food comparable. I see they have another reduced calorie senior food, but it has duck in it and that doesn't agree with her at all.
Thanks for any advice

Warrior Princess Xena
Download Post   
CentIAMastiffDaddy
GENTLE GIANT
GENTLE GIANT
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon May 21, 2012 5:58 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

There's a pretty big difference in calories and fat between the Fromm formulas and the Canidae Platinum. Canidae is 330 calories per cup and 8.5% fat whereas the Fromm Classic Mature Adult is 388 calories per cup and 11% fat while the Fromm Gold Reduced Activity is still 367 calories per cup and 11% fat. That means you would be giving her 37 calories per cup more on Fromm Classic Mature than on Canidae. If, for instance, she eats 5 cups per day that's like feeding her an extra 1/2 cup of food per day. In a week's time that's 3 1/2 extra cups of food.

In the example above, if you cut out 1/2 cup of food per day, cutting from 5 to 4 1/2, would she start to feel hungry? If not, great. If so, though, you could try to fill her up with some non-fat options like cooked green beans, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower.

Canidae is presently made by Diamond. However, they are working hard to get their own manufacturing facility up and running which should make their food a lot safer. But I don't know when that facility will start operating.

Bill, Proud Papa to Ryanna
Download Post   
snuggy1
LEASH TRAINED
LEASH TRAINED
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon May 21, 2012 6:19 pm   Post subject:  Re: Fromm Mature adult dog Food vs.Canidae Platinum Back to top 

Thanks Bill,just trying to find an alternative if I can't find my food. I think she would still be hungry if I cut back too much.

Warrior Princess Xena
Download Post   
CentIAMastiffDaddy
GENTLE GIANT
GENTLE GIANT
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon May 21, 2012 7:23 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

If you can't locate it locally, you might try www.doggiefood.com as they have decent prices ($50 for the 30 pound bag of Platinum) and free shipping on orders more than $49.

Download Post   
snuggy1
LEASH TRAINED
LEASH TRAINED
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon May 21, 2012 7:42 pm   Post subject:  Re: Fromm Mature adult dog Food vs.Canidae Platinum Back to top 

Thank you, I'm going there now Very Happy

Warrior Princess Xena
Download Post   
Belladog
POTTY TRAINED
POTTY TRAINED
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:22 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

CentIAMastiffDaddy wrote (View Post): ›
There's a pretty big difference in calories and fat between the Fromm formulas and the Canidae Platinum. Canidae is 330 calories per cup and 8.5% fat whereas the Fromm Classic Mature Adult is 388 calories per cup and 11% fat while the Fromm Gold Reduced Activity is still 367 calories per cup and 11% fat. That means you would be giving her 37 calories per cup more on Fromm Classic Mature than on Canidae. If, for instance, she eats 5 cups per day that's like feeding her an extra 1/2 cup of food per day. In a week's time that's 3 1/2 extra cups of food.

In the example above, if you cut out 1/2 cup of food per day, cutting from 5 to 4 1/2, would she start to feel hungry? If not, great. If so, though, you could try to fill her up with some non-fat options like cooked green beans, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower.

Canidae is presently made by Diamond. However, they are working hard to get their own manufacturing facility up and running which should make their food a lot safer. But I don't know when that facility will start operating.

Hi Bill, I am looking into switching my 7 month old Neo from BB to Canidae als. Have they made the move away from Diamond completely? I found they have a new plant in Browntown Texas called Ethos Pet Nutrition . Is this switch to als alright for a mastiff pup?

CentIAMastiffDaddy
GENTLE GIANT
GENTLE GIANT
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:31 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

I believe Canidae has transitioned away from Diamond due to all the tainted food issues.

Download Post   
Belladog
POTTY TRAINED
POTTY TRAINED
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:07 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

CentIAMastiffDaddy wrote (View Post): ›
I believe Canidae has transitioned away from Diamond due to all the tainted food issues.

Hey Bill, I called Canidae to insure There was no chance of me getting a Diamond batch, the rep said 90 % of ALS is made at Ethos, but due to me being in the east, It would probably be coming from S. Carolina, I went with Vets Choice Holistic Original [local company]& am transitioning Bella over the next to weeks, thanks

CentIAMastiffDaddy
GENTLE GIANT
GENTLE GIANT
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:27 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Yeah, when I put together this year's top food list I determined that Canidae is still using Diamond to make their foods and it's the South Carolina Diamond plant that has been the BIGGEST offender of substandard quality control procedures and poor management oversight.

Download Post   

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search